Private law children act proceedings

Private law children act proceedings

Where parties separate or arrangements for the care of the children are disputed in some way, it is always hoped that families can reach agreement as to the best way forward. If this is not possible, then parties are entitled to issue Court Proceedings to resolve matters.

A CHILD ARRANGEMENTS ORDER – This is an Order determining with whom the child/children should live, and what contact the absent parent should have with the child/children.

PROHIBITED STEPS ORDER –This Order prevents a person doing a specific act without the consent of the Court e.g that they should not remove the child from the jurisdiction of England and Wales.

A SPECIFIC ISSUE ORDER – This is an Order that determines a matter in relation to the child e.g. whether a child should go on a holiday or changing a child’s surname or any other matter upon which parents are unable to agree concerning a child’s welfare.

A PARENTAL RESPONSIBILITY ORDER – This is an order which an unmarried father can apply for when he does not have parental responsibility for his child either because his name is not on the birth certificate or mother will not agree to enter into a Parental Responsibility Agreement with him. The court can make an order giving the unmarried father Parental Responsibility which will enable a father to share Parental Responsibility with the mother.

It is also possible for step parents or civil partners to acquire Parental Responsibility.